The mission of Apparel & Textile Department is to serve the community through the provision of quality educational program, research, consultancy and professional service in the field of clothing and textile.
- To provide up to date and modern education about apparel and textile technologies.
- To expose the students to the latest knowledge and technology to familiarize them with the advancement in the industrial sector and in other areas of development.
- To understand why and how clothing choices are made
- To become aware of personal responsibilities as a clothing consumer
- To develop analytical ability of students’ self dependability to solve problems related to their professional career and socio-economic development.
SKILLS & SCOPE
Apparel and Textile Education opens the doors of major professional areas namely educational institutions, business and industries—particularly textile and garment section, community service, research and administration.
- Students gain advance knowledge of Textile-and-Apparel Technology, quality control scheming, merchandising and application of computer technology in this sector.
- The academic program of Apparel & Textile department has been designed to train students for future leadership in their specific areas of education
- Students attain a high level of intellectual and technical skills with a marked ability and initiative in the understanding and know how of theoretical concepts and their practical application in the major discipline.
- To foster and enhance the creativity of students and enable them to develop competency in fashion designing.
- To increase their:
analyzing/testing ability of fiber and fabric,
knowledge of production and performance characteristics of natural and man-made fibers.
- To teach manual & CAD design-developing methods and their application on fabric.
- To impart understanding of marketing and merchandising policies offering Marketing and Merchandising Courses.
Importance of Apparel and Textile as a Subject
The Apparel and Textile domain of Home-Economics Programs was originally intended to provide women with expertise to clothe themselves and their families in an efficient and economical manner. Another objective was to provide the students with a more formal understanding of the textile industry for future career opportunities within that field. Early Home Economists helped to make positive contributions to this area by studying different fabrics and dyes, and the proper ways to care for the material. Modern Home-Economics Programs continue to place importance on this domain of the curriculum. Students are given instructions regarding different aspects of Apparel and Textile, including the History of Fashion and its Social Implications, Concerns for the Consumer, as well as Actual Clothing Construction.
Perhaps one of the most enjoyable parts of the Home-Economics disciplines is the ability for students to create their own clothes and other projects. Students learn how to correctly use the various tools and materials necessary to construct their clothing. They learn how to follow the sewing instructions with limited assistance, and are encouraged to use their creative skills. Different tailoring techniques and ways to assess their quality are also demonstrated.
COURSES & COURSE OBJECTIVES
Advanced Clothing Course Objectives
This course is designed to understand the principles and application of draping on different types of figures. This subject not only enable students to comprehend the importance of basic bodice block, manipulation of darts and pleats but also facilitates them to understand the importance of dress forms.
Advanced Textile Course Objectives
The Advanced Textile Course is designed for students to identify textile fibers, learn the production and performance characteristics of natural and man-made fiber. Understand the importance of fabric designing and finishing and learn yarn manufacturing and production techniques.
Experimental Textiles Course Objectives
This course is designed to provide knowledge about objectives of textile testing, to study the qualitative and quantitative fabric analysis. This enables students to acquire basic knowledge about the fiber, yarn and fabrics dimensions and properties. Students get acquainted with the methods of testing of fabrics using various instruments.
Fashion and Apparel Designing Course Objectives
The course enhances the creativity of the students in implementing their skills in fashion designing. It enables students to manipulate darts and pleats in fashion apparel to achieve variation in style.
Fashion Merchandising Course Objectives
Fashion Merchandising helps students understand the importance of marketing and merchandising policies with special reference to Fashion Industry of Pakistan. The course deals with “role of advertisement in promotion of fashion” and “the problems faced by the manufactures regarding consumers’ demand”.
Textile Designing and Printing Course Objectives
The Course in Textile Designing and Printing is designed to acquire basic skills of developing designs for dyeing and printing manually and on CAD. Students are taught to apply dyeing and printing techniques on assorted fabrics and produce computer-generated graphic designs for textiles, interiors and fashion illustrations.
|1||Mahlaqa Afreen||Assistant Professor (HOD)||M. Phil (Fellow) Social Science (HU); M.Sc Home Economics (KU).|
|2||Roohi Iqbal||Lecturer||M.Sc Home Economics (KU)|
|3||Dur-e-Nayab||Lecturer||M.Sc Home Economics (KU); Dip. CAD CAM (KITFD)|
|4||Uzma Moin||Lecturer||M.Sc Home Economics (KU); B. Ed (AIOU)|
|5||Fizza Masaud||Lecturer||M.Sc Home Economics (KU)|
|6||Zohra Mustafa||Lecturer||M.Sc Home Economics (KU); Dip. Hospitality Management (Academia International, MEL-AUS)|
|7||Saima Khan||Lecturer||BS Home Economics (KU)|
|8||Sara Siddiqui||Lecturer||M.Sc Home Economics (KU)|
|9||Syeda Maria Shamim||Lecturer||M.Sc Home Economics (KU)|
Some of the career choices in The Apparel and Textile Department are:
- Textile Technologist
- Textile scientist
- Textile Designer
- Fashion Designer
- Fashion Photographer
- Fashion Journalist
- Fashion Analyst
- Product Manager
- Product Promoter
- Quality Controller in Textile Industry
- Educationist at College/University level